Thursday, June 10, 2010

Has our world gone mad? Sarah McLachlan gets happy in new video.


It's not a terrible song, and the video isn't anything special, but the concept is troubling. The song, titled "Loving You Is Easy" is the first single for her new album Laws of Illusion, which debuts on June 15th. The song basically has McLachlan waxing not-so-poetically about how happy she is with the new man in her life. And that is the problem. If I wanted to listen to puppies-and-rainbows melodies about the joys of new love and the sweetness of romance, I'd listen to a Taylor Swift song. I'm sorry, call me old fashioned, but when I listen to Sarah McLachlan music, I expect to be soulfully depressed and artfully bummed out, with soaring odes to misery and suffering plus a dash of gorgeously-sung hopelessness. This is a woman who is the go-to artist when they need a song for a commercial begging you to save downtrodden animals. This is a woman who, bless her lovely voice and compelling lyrics, put out a genuinely depressing Christmas CD a few years back. We'll see how the rest of the album turns out, but I damn well better hear some bitter ballads, sorrowful sonnets, and decidedly un-merry melodies. You're not Weird Al Yankovich, you're Sarah Fu&*#n McLachlan!

Scott Mendelson

PS - While my Taylor Swift reference was intended in jest, I did listen to McLachlan back in the day, and I'm not ashamed to admit it (when you're already a married family man, you can admit all kinds of such vices). But, when I was still a swinging bachelor, the rule was simple: Getting a girl to play her Sarah McLachlan CDs in order to set the mood = Good Idea. Whipping out your own copy of Fumbling Towards Ecstasy or Surfacing to set the mood = Bad Idea.

4 comments:

Sabina E. said...

lol. Welllll, if she is happy but if her happiness causes her to make sloppy music, then so be it.

(I am a huge admirer of Sarah McLachlan, too)

Geckoman said...

You're seriously going to judge the whole album solely by listening to this song? You're far off. Far far off..

PS. Sarah is single now too

Scott Mendelson said...

I know the song isn't necessarily about the real McLachlan. As for the rest of the album, I haven't a clue what it's mood is. I was attempting to be funny, I'm sorry you took me literally.

Scott Mendelson said...

I know the song isn't necessarily about the real McLachlan. As for the rest of the album, I haven't a clue what it's mood is. I was attempting to be funny, I'm sorry you took me literally.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels