Wednesday, March 24, 2010

For those who care - Iron Man 2 gets an international poster.

As I mentioned last night, the opening weekend competition basically comes down to Iron Man 2 vs. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, with Toy Story 3 possibly playing the spoiler. The one-sheet above is a solid piece of work, clearly emulating the core design of the first film's poster. Like the last picture, you have a collage of floating half-bodies, with the superhero designs in the back ground hovering behind them. While the first poster pretended not to reveal who the key villain was, there is no mystery in this sequel, hence the bottom action shot of Whiplash. What I do find amusing is that both posters have Tony Stark and James Rhodes looking away from us, while Pepper Potts and the big bad stare us directly in the face. The outlier is of course Black Widow, who also refuses to look us in the eye. Oddly enough, Both Stark and Rhodes are both looking up at the sky, but in the respective opposite directions that they were looking in the first poster. Point being, I do adore when marketing attempts to create a sort of continuity for franchise pictures and this one fits the bill to a tee. Nice work at Paramount marketing.

Scott Mendelson

2 comments:

JohnH said...

It is a pretty good poster, but I'm curious: Does anyone else really miss movie posters that were illustrated by hand rather than done as Photoshop composites? I mean, look at the one for Avatar; for such a visually stunning movie that has got to be the most boring poster I've ever seen (with awful typography to go along with it!).*

*As a graphic designer, I know I'm completely biased in this, but really -- if a movie costs $200 million at least throw a couple thousand more into the poster art!

JohnH said...

It is a pretty good poster, but I'm curious: Does anyone else really miss movie posters that were illustrated by hand rather than done as Photoshop composites? I mean, look at the one for Avatar; for such a visually stunning movie that has got to be the most boring poster I've ever seen (with awful typography to go along with it!).*

*As a graphic designer, I know I'm completely biased in this, but really -- if a movie costs $200 million at least throw a couple thousand more into the poster art!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels