Monday, September 14, 2009

At $667 million and counting, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs is now the third highest-grossing movie of all time in non-North American grosses.

It may fail to cross $200 million in the US, but Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs crossed $667 million in overseas (non North-American) dollars this weekend. That officially makes it the number 03 top overseas earner in history, behind just Lord of the Rings: Return of the King ($740 million) and Titanic ($1.2 billion). I don't have any profound conclusions to draw or lessons to take from this, I'm simply astounded by the statistic. I did see the picture, and it was actually pretty good. It was a fun thrill-ride (ideally suited for 3D, although my showing was 2D 35mm), better than the second film but lacking the character development and dark undertones of the initial installment. If nothing else, I enjoyed it because it was the first movie that I successfully took my daughter to just the days before her second birthday. Pardon the slight digression, but that is one way that becoming a parent changes you. When your kid is enjoying herself and you can take her with you to a movie without concern, even a second-run showing of G-Force becomes a good time. Now if I could just get her to wear those 3D glasses, then we'd be all set.

Scott Mendelson

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels