Monday, September 21, 2009

Exclusive - Paramount confirms, explains The Lovely Bones date change.

In response to last week's post about the shocking and under-the-radar date change of Peter Jackson's The Lovely Bones, a Paramount spokesperson has contacted me, confirming the switch.

"We did initially date the wide film as of Dec. 11. In analyzing the marketplace (and after seeing an early cut of the film), we determined a roll out strategy would take advantage of the positive word of mouth and critical buzz we anticipate for the film. We're essentially following the Grand Torino plan (which btw out grossed all movies released wide last December)."

Sounds logical to me. And yes, at $148 million, Gran Torino was Warner Bros' second-highest domestic grosser of the year (behind Harry Potter 6 and The Hangover) and scored the fourth-biggest January opening weekend of all time. This despite the month of limited-release play and the rampant availability of DVD-quality bootlegs ripped from awards screeners (something I'm sure Paramount has factored in as a risk). We'll see if lightning strikes twice.

Scott Mendelson

3 comments:

Heather Moore said...

It helps that Gran Torino was actually a good movie. I'm sure some people hated it but I heard nothing but good things from people who saw it. It remains to be seen whether TLB is liked. I know a lot of people loved the book but I hated it.

R.L. Shaffer said...

Ask that publicist why they're no longer sending out screening discs. They do know that no discs equals no publicity, right?

Collin said...

I was also not particularly fond of the novel. That is not to say that it was not a good book just not my cup of tea. The movie does look good but I think that it will not play as well outside the christmas season

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels