Sunday, October 11, 2009

Toy Story 3D gets a trailer.

My wife is going to be in tears just from the first forty-seconds of this thing. I may have to see this one without her. And I may not make it through the film dry-eyed either. I still think it's strange that the subtext of Toy Story 2 (a parent dealing with a child leaving home) is now the text of this third chapter. While the second half of the trailer highlights frantic comedy, the undertones of this story are awfully dark. When you boil it down, we're almost dealing with a holocaust/exodus parable here. Of course, the last two Pixar films were basically about learning to survive unbearable loss and loneliness in the face of worldwide apocalypse, so I think audiences will know what they're getting into. At the end of the day, the overriding theme of Pixar's work is the fragility and preciousness of life, in that it must eventually end.
Scott Mendelson

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels