Friday, February 6, 2009

'James was here' (James Whitmore - RIP)

James Whitmore, one of my favorite character actors, has died at 87.  He was diagnosed with lung cancer just this Thanksgiving.   He passed away this afternoon. Most of our peers will know him as Brooks in The Shawshank Redemption.  I will always think of him as the eccentric, but charming Dr. Albert Frock in The Relic (in a horror film filled with onscreen gore, his character gets the dignity of an offscreen death).  He was also terrific as Raymond Oz, a once brilliant attorney crippled by memory loss, in The Practice.  His career spanned 146 credits from 1949 to 2007.  Another legend is gone.  He will be very missed.  


James Whitmore - October 1, 1921 - February 6th, 2009.

Scott Mendelson

2 comments:

shakland said...

I just became familiar with your blog and have been going thru past postings and catching up. I am really enjoying it. I just wanted to say that James Whitmore was a favorite of mine too and I am always moved beyond words when I watch these scenes in particular in The Shawshank Redemption.

shakland said...

I just became familiar with your blog and have been going thru past postings and catching up. I am really enjoying it. I just wanted to say that James Whitmore was a favorite of mine too and I am always moved beyond words when I watch these scenes in particular in The Shawshank Redemption.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels