Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Headline du jour. Apparently murder is an occupational risk of being an actress.

CNN has this story up on their front page, a Santa Monica cold case involving a young would-be actress found murdered in March 2008. Fair enough, hope they catch the murderer, but the headline reads "Slain actress found dark side of Hollywood dream". Really? First of all, how many young women who come to Hollywood to be a star actually end up being murdered, Black Dahlia style? I'm guessing very few, especially if you don't count those who end up in the seedier acting venues and/or prostitution (of course, I presume not all that many fall into that category either).

Second of all, I'd wager than being murdered in your own home is pretty much the 'dark side' of any situation. And really, if she had been an auto mechanic who was murdered in her shop, would the headline read 'slain auto mechanic found dark side of car repair'? Or how about 'slain college co-ed found dark side of educational pursuits'? Oh, here's one... 'lost Challenger astronauts found dark side of interplanetary space travel'. I could do this all day, but I think I'll quit while I'm ahead. Yeesh.

Scott Mendelson

2 comments:

Kyle Leaman said...

"I'd wager than being murdered in your own home is pretty much the 'dark side' of any situation"

Thank you. That made my day.

Anonymous said...

Not only that, but I'm not exactly sure why they ran the story. There's nothing there. All the story says is that she was found dead in her apartment. As the article points out repeatedly, there are no details that the police will disclose. Even the mother is quoted as saying they want no media attention.

Surely there are other stories, with leads that can be made public and a family that wants media assistance, that could be run instead? Maybe Dane Chandler Williams? But then, he's not a young white female, so it's not nearly as sensational.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels