Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Super Bowl commercial: G.I. Joe: Retaliation brings the cheese.

I liked G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra more than most people did, so it heartens me to say that this short 30 second spot feels more larger-than-life than the first full trailer.  Point being, I don't want a G.I. Joe movie that is 'dark, gritty, and realistic'.  Obviously having two genuine movie stars leading the pack will probably allow this picture to be taken more seriously than the last one, although it will be interesting to see how much Channing Tatum actually appears in this sequel, since he's obviously being hidden in the marketing thus far.  As I've said before, the most promising element is the fact that they are actually honoring the crazy cliffhanger from the first picture and frankly the fact that they are treating this as a sequel at all, as opposed to a 'reboot'.  Anyway, considering how much ink has been spent of late discussing the costumes for female characters in franchises like this, it is refreshing to see that Elodie Yung (Jinx) and Adrienne Palecki (Lady Jane) will be allowed to wear full outfits during their big moments.  And Faran Tahir (allegedly playing Cobra Commander) once again returns to the Paramount franchise fold, having had small roles in Iron Man and Star Trek (he's apparently a good luck charm).  Point being, this does look like the kind of big-scale fun we want out of a G.I. Joe movie, so here's hoping that Jon Chu pulls it off.  The picture opens on June 29th, 2012.  As always, we'll see...

Scott Mendelson

1 comment:

obthavariable said...

Wait a minute, Lisbeth Salander's girlfriend (Elodie Yung) is in this movie? Okay, I'm in...

The female costumes was also a compliment of the first one, wouldn't you say?

I'm still upset at Channing Tatum's marginalization (he's playing Duke, for freak's sake, the leader of all the Joes!), and I don't get why they would go pop-culture reference-y all of a sudden when the first one clearly existed in a hyper-real world outside of our own.

All in all, as long as it doesn't go overboard on the cheese, I hope it at least holds a candle to the first one. To me, Rise of Cobra is going to be tough to beat...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels