Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Rooney Mara as Elizabeth Salander in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

It's no secret that I think the original Millennium Trilogy is vastly overrated, and basically a bit of (literally, it appears) made-for-TV hokum that was elevated to masterpiece status by subtitles, extra kinkiness, and a desperate desire for heroines a bit outside the mainstream. And it's also no secret that I think David Fincher's The Social Network is the most overrated film of 2010. So it is with cautious optimism at best that I await Fincher's adaptation of the first film in the series, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Still, for those more interested than I, here's your first official look at Rooney Mara as the title character. It certainly is a striking transformation, but that's part of the fun of playing a part like this.

Scott Mendelson

2 comments:

Sabina E. said...

I respectfully disagree with you. I love the trilogy series and think these films are great. Yeah, I understand that the stories aren't anything "unique" (cos you could see that being replayed on Law and Order SVU) but it's the character of Lisbeth Salander that makes these films stand out.

I'm not really happy with the idea of a Hollywood remake of a foreign film. Typical.

Anonymous said...

I think there's technical room for improvement from the original Swedish film (action sequences/cinematography). The original actor was basically a Swedish Daniel Craig to begin with, so that's almost a wash. I honestly have no faith, whatsoever that Rooney Mara can live up to/be even/or outdo Noomi Rapace. I am shocked at how good she "looks" right now, but you gotta act too, to help keep that look going.

The look almost outdoes Noomi's i must say. The character in the book is not supposed to 'hot' as i've noticed a lot of talkbacks complaining that Noomi looked hotter. In the books Lisbeth is mistaken for a teen boy many times and is not really supposed to be all that attractive.

And i really don't know about Fincher's quote about changing the ending...i hope not too much

-Brandon

PS)Hey, Jihad Punk XXX, I think Scott should read the books when/if he gets some free time. They're quite dazzling! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels