Monday, June 27, 2011

Trailer: Pixar's Brave looks gorgeous, announces 'Don't give up on us!"

Unless my daughter wants to see it (so far, she does not), I doubt I'll be seeing Cars 2 in theaters.  Having said that, I have a tough time believing it is THAT bad.  I'm wondering if the reviews would have been quite as harsh if A) it weren't a sequel, B) it didn't star Larry the Cable Guy, and C) it wasn't being released on the tail-end of a four-year Pixar masterpiece streak.  Whatever the case, John Lasseter wanted to make Cars 2, and now he has that out of his system.  This gorgeous and moody teaser basically announces in the same breath: "No no, we're still in this for real."  Not much to say, as this is allegedly Pixar's attempt to play in the Lord of the Rings sandbox.  Yes, it's the first Pixar film with a female lead.  Yes, the film's first (female) director, Brenda Chapman, was replaced by Mark Andrews.  The film as it stands looks like a visual marvel, and we'll see when it drops on June 22nd, 2012.

Scott Mendelson

8 comments:

Sabina E. said...

that looks good! i like both the cute lass and the horsey.

Liam H said...

I find it funny that some people are crying out that Pixar has sold out for making this. Cars 2 is basically a cash grab but I'm okay with that since everybody does it. It would be a shame if they continue down that road but I don't believe they will, at least not consistently.

It would be more of a travesty if they made Incredibles 2 a cash grab by stripping everything away good about the first one.

Very interested to see what they can do with the 'princess' genre next year.

Kimberly S said...

I am one of the few who LIKED Cars 2, even better than the first one. As you have pointed out, Cars 2 is not a sob-fest, and I think some critics dislike it for that very reason. It's not deep or philosophical, but it is fun. And while the espionage jokes might seem cliched to adults, one must remember that they're not old-hat to kids. My kids laughed through the entire film, and have not stopped pretending to be in it since they saw it two days ago. (Which was a little funny in church, when my son announced to everyone he met that he was Finn McMissile. Most of the adults didn't have any idea who that was.)

For the record, I am picky about what kids movies I let my kids see; they don't watch Air Buddies or Gnomeo and Juliet. I don't want them to see every crappy kids movie just to give them something to do--I want them to develop high standards for the media they allow to influence them. But I still thought Cars 2 was a fun, worthwhile movie.

Razorgeist said...

Oooh that does look good.

Heather Moore said...

Cars 2 was not THAT bad. It was fun. It's gorgeous to look at, the story is good, the jokes are all there. It's a good Pixar movie - heck it's just a good movie. No it's not Toy Story 3 but what movie is? Even the 3D was good. I have no idea why it got such bad reviews. It's no different from most Pixar movies (and I've seen them all).

Razorgeist said...

Oooh that does look good.

Heather Moore said...

Cars 2 was not THAT bad. It was fun. It's gorgeous to look at, the story is good, the jokes are all there. It's a good Pixar movie - heck it's just a good movie. No it's not Toy Story 3 but what movie is? Even the 3D was good. I have no idea why it got such bad reviews. It's no different from most Pixar movies (and I've seen them all).

Sabina said...

that looks good! i like both the cute lass and the horsey.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels